When isn’t a knife? It’s when the cutting edge becomes rusty, which is why you need the right knife sharpener to suit your needs. The main problem, of course, is that it is not always easy to buy a Best Knife Sharpener on the market. There are many varieties of sharpeners, and you need to take note of the kind of knives you’ve earned.
You also need to consider your personal preferences into consideration. What’s more, the wrong knife sharpener isn’t just going to waste your energy, it can destroy your blades, too. So, what’s the perfect knife sharpener? To answer that question, we have gathered a number of excellent sharpeners of different types with different features, so that you can find one that suits your exact needs. you can also check out the Best Survival Knives.
Finding the best knife sharpener is never at the top of the priority list when someone prepares to get ready for the kitchen. Yet sooner or later, even the best kitchen knives may begin to lose their points, leaving rags and tears on the blade. If you’ve invested in a decent collection of knives, it only makes sense to find a sharpening device to help hold the blades properly.
Finding a decent knife sharpener can be as difficult as finding a good weapon. Many sharpening tools, for one thing, just operate on specific types of knives. Additionally, the amount of sharpness produced relies not only on the consistency of the sharpener itself but also on how much time and effort you have expended on the sharpening cycle.
First things first, let’s look at the different kinds of sharpening instruments and determine which one is best suited to your needs.
Comparison of 15 Best Knife Sharpeners in 2020
- 1 Comparison of 15 Best Knife Sharpeners in 2020
- 2 A Preview: The Best Select Knife Sharpener Collection in 2020.
- 3 Top 15 Best Knife Sharpener Reviews in 2020
- 4 1. Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition Knife & Tool Sharpener
- 5 US$ 129.95
- 6 PROS
- 7 CONS
- 8 2. Chef’sChoice 15 Trizor XV EdgeSelect Electric Knife Sharpener
- 9 US$ 120.01
- 10 PROS
- 11 CONS
- 12 3. Work Sharp Wood Tool Sharpener
- 13 US$ 199.95
- 14 PROS
- 15 CONS
- 16 4. Chef’sChoice 1520 AngleSelect Diamond Hone Electric Knife Sharpener
- 17 US$ 150.95
- 18 PROS
- 19 CONS
- 20 5. Chef’sChoice 120 Diamond Hone EdgeSelect Electric Knife Sharpener
- 21 US$ 124.77
- 22 PROS
- 23 CONS
- 24 6. Presto EverSharp Electric Knife Sharpener
- 25 US$ 25.39
- 26 PROS
- 27 CONS
- 28 7. Chicago Cutlery Insignia Knife Set with In-Block Sharpener
- 29 US$ 139.95
- 30 PROS
- 31 CONS
- 32 8. Edge Pro Apex 1 Best Knife Sharpener Kit
- 33 US$ 165.00
- 34 PROS
- 35 CONS
- 36 9. Smith’s PP1 Pocket Pal Multi-Function Sharpener
- 37 US$ 8.78
- 38 PROS
- 39 CONS
- 40 10. Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker Set
- 41 US$ 73.50
- 42 PROS
- 43 CONS
- 44 11. Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twinsharp Knife Sharpener
- 45 US$ 24.95
- 46 PROS
- 47 CONS
- 48 12. Brod & Taylor Professional Knife Sharpener
- 49 US$ 119.00
- 50 PROS
- 51 CONS
- 52 13. Wusthof PEtec Electric Sharpener
- 53 US$ None
- 54 PROS
- 55 CONS
- 56 14. Work Sharp Culinary E5 Kitchen Knife Sharpener
- 57 US$ 199.95
- 58 PROS
- 59 CONS
- 60 15. Maxman Multi-Functional Electric Knife Sharpener
- 61 US$ 65.99
- 62 PROS
- 63 CONS
- 64 Top Tips on Buying the Best Knife Sharpener
- 65 Conclusion
- 66 Reviewed
|Image||Product Name||Features||View on Amazon|
|Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition Knife & Tool Sharpener||
|Chef’sChoice 15 Trizor XV Electric Knife Sharpener||
|Work Sharp Wood Tool Sharpener||
|Chef’sChoice 1520 Electric Knife Sharpener||
|Chef’sChoice 120 Diamond Hone Electric Knife Sharpener||
|Presto EverSharp Electric Knife Sharpener||
|Chicago Cutlery knife set and In-Block Sharpener||
|Edge Pro Apex Knife Sharpener Kit||
|Smith’s PP1 Pocket Pal Multifunction Sharpener||
|Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker Set||
|Zwilling J.A. Henckels Handheld Knife Sharpener||
|Brod & Taylor Professional Knife Sharpener||
|Wusthof PEtec Electric Sharpener||
|Work Sharp Culinary E5 Kitchen Knife Sharpener||
|MAXMAN Multi-Functional Electric Knife Sharpener||
A Preview: The Best Select Knife Sharpener Collection in 2020.
WSKTS-KO Ken Onion Version Job Simple. This is the automatic knife sharpener you use when you’ve got knives of all sorts, plus scissors and even yard care equipment to sharpen. It’s so easy to use that knife sharpening avoids being a hassle, but it’s becoming a fun hobby. Chef’s Choice Trizor XV. That’s what you get when you need something for your 15-degree Asian knives.
You get quick results from this sharpener, and the resultant sharpness of the cutting edge is great. WS3000 Job Clear. This is the sharpener you need if you’re a woodworker and need to sharpen your woodworking equipment like your chisels and lathe tools. You can also use this for different types of weapons, including hunting knives and gourmet knives.
Chef’s Option in 1520. Here you’ve got three spaces in which you stick your weapon. One is for Asian knives, the other is for Western knives, and the third is for finishing touches for both — and for close weapons. There is even a 3-year guarantee. Select Chef 120. It’s not just Asian or Western gourmet blades.
It also operates for butcher knives and shooting knives. We all get the sharpness of the exclusive 3-stage method and you get a 3-year guarantee. Eversharp Automatic Knife Sharpener Presto 08800. It’s simple, it’s an old design, but it’s a design that works. You can use this for all your kitchen knives, and you can also use the cleaning equipment in your yard.
Top 15 Best Knife Sharpener Reviews in 2020
- It’s so versatile that you sharpen just about anything that can be sharpened in your home.
- It uses abrasive belts that last long because it continuously uses new cutting surfaces so the wear is even.
- Regardless of what you sharpen, it’ll come extremely sharp.
- Adjusting the angle doesn’t require jigs or special tools. Just turn a knob.
- It’s not just easy to use—it’s actually fun to use.
- You will want to practice using this at first, and that means you need to have cheap knives that you don’t mind ruining to work on.
- If you like to get near the blade to see if it’s sharp enough, eye protection is an absolute must-have. A face mask is a good idea too.
If you’re looking for the best knife sharpener package, many find this a candidate. What really sets it apart is that it’s very flexible, as you can use it to sharpen your kitchen knives and search knives.
In reality, it’s not restricted to knives like pen knives and fishing knives. You can use it to sharpen the hammer or machete, and even the blades on your lawnmower. They’re handy with scissors, too. In reality, there’s a scissor guide built-in with an angle of 65 degrees.
You will change the angle from 15 to 30 degrees for the other blades. You can choose between 1-degree measurements, and all you need to do is change the angle you want. This is a package of different grades of abrasive belts for different types of knives, and you can purchase other extra accessories if you need to use it for ceramic knives or precision equipment.
- We’re not the only ones who have high regard for this sharpener. Cooks Illustrated named it the best knife sharpener of 2015, while America’s Test Kitchen also gave it a rave review.
- It can deal with serrated knives as well.
- There’s not much of a learning curve for it, and it doesn’t require much effort.
- The 3-year warranty is also in effect.
- It’s admittedly quite pricey.
- Despite its price, it’s limited to just 15-degree knives.
This is the perfect knife sharpener for only 15-degree blades, although you can use it to turn wider angle knives to Asian style. You might want to do that, because this modification will make a knife into a more powerful cutting tool, and it can last longer.
It also prolongs the life of the weapon by reducing the amount of metal these extracts from the tool. This is achieved through a 3-stage process, with diamond abrasives of varying thickness for the first 2 steps, then a 3-stage disc. A stroking device can also function to sharpen the serrated knives. This ensures that even the bread knives will change.
- If you’re a woodworker, your needs aren’t forgotten. You now have a tool that’s designed specifically for the tools you use.
- At the same time, you can still use this for a wide variety of knives.
- It comes with an instructional DVD so that you can watch what to do instead of just read about it.
- It offers 16 different types of abrasives.
- It’s not really easy to master even with the DVD.
- Yes, it has lots of accessories. Where’s the case to put in everything?
Were you looking for the best sharpener, not for knives, but for your woodworking equipment in particular? And go no further than you’ve got it.
This is a sharpener designed primarily for lathe machines, cutting equipment, chisels, and plane irons. There is also a sharpening port that can handle blades with widths varying from 0.125 inches to 2 inches.
When you learn how to sharpen your freehand without a reference, you can use it for wider blades as well. In the meantime, you should change the angle from 20 to 35 degrees, and you have preset angles to choose from for consistent results.
- It’s very easy to use, and it helps that the instruction manual is very well-written. You don’t have to struggle to understand it.
- Once you understand how to use it, you can sharpen knives in no time at all. Even newbies will only take half an hour or so to sharpen 8 knives in one sitting.
- The sharpness you get is admittedly terrific. A sharpened knife is like it is brand new again, or even better than brand new.
- The main exception to how easy it is to use is if you use it for serrated knives. Some people just can’t get the hang of it.
- You can’t use this for your scissors.
- If you also have ceramic knives, you’ll need another sharpener for them.
The 1520 name is because it can sharpen all Japanese knives (usually 15 degrees) and American and European knives (20 degrees). Most chefs are not limited to a single type, so this is a very suitable option for these chefs.
What really helps to market this sharpener is the beauty of the product. You just put the knife in the right slot of the sharpener, and you’re ready to go.
One slot is 15 degrees, while the other slot is 20 degrees. The 3rd slot is for the finishing touch, and you can also use this slot to sharpen your serrated bread knives.
- It’s so easy to use that some people call it “idiot-proof”. In any case, it’s normal to need to practice it first before you master it, though that shouldn’t take too long.
- It offers fast touchups so that you can make sure that every knife is as sharp as can be when you use it.
- The 3-year warranty is still there.
- When you practice, you may end up ruining your practice knives. That means you need a cheap knife that you don’t mind losing to work on.
- Even with lots of practice, many chefs say that this is not ideal for expensive knives. It’s best reserved for midrange and very affordable knives.
- Chef’s Choice sharpeners are notorious for scratching up knives because of dislodged diamond dust particles. This won’t affect the usefulness of your knife, though it won’t look as good with its minor scratch.
Chef’s Choice sharpeners are renowned for their outstanding 3-stage sharpening process that uses abrasive stones and their excellent 3-year warranty. All of these are available in 120.
Nevertheless, some of the Chef’s Choices sharpeners can only be used for some specific styles of knives. Next period, the gloves come off and you can sharpen more styles of knives.
It ensures that you can not only sharpen any sort of gourmet knife, but you can also repair the point of the knives you use for butchering. It also functions with twisted blades, and even hunting knives can get their perfect cutting edge back with this.
- Have we mentioned the price yet? The price here means that your search for the best cheap knife sharpener doesn’t have to exclude electric models.
- It’s not just for knives, as you can also use it for other yard maintenance tools.
- It really gives a sharp edge, so that even a single pass will do fine.
- It also comes with a 1-year warranty, but you’re on your own if the damage is due to the delivery.
- Since this is an older design, it’s not as easy to learn and use as more modern sharpeners.
Who claims that every good electric knife sharpener has to cost more than a hundred bucks? Not Presto, obviously, since it requires fewer than 35 years and that’s included with the subscription.
You don’t even have to think about low quality, because the low price here doesn’t mean Presto used cheap materials for that. The low price is because the product was introduced several years earlier, and new designs have now entered the market, that’s all.
- Now you don’t have to figure out which sharpener is best for your knives. This time, you already have one that’s designed for all your knives.
- There’s nothing to figure out, as you just stick the knives in the sharpener slot to touch them up.
- You get lots of different knives, yet the whole set costs less than some of the sharpeners here.
- This even comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
- It looks great on your countertop
- You probably won’t be able to use this sharpener for your other knives.
- The knives are square in shape, so they often land sharp side up. Be careful!
Since you need a sharpener for your blades, why don’t you purchase a knife and sharpener set? That’s what you’re having here: it’s an 18-piece knife block kit with an in-block knife sharpener.
What this means is that you get 17 separate knives with high-carbon stainless steel full-tang blades, and there’s an extra slot to sharpen every knife in the package. There’s no disturbance at all.
- This can last for a very long while, as the only maintenance it needs is routine cleaning.
- You will only have to replace the stones whenever that’s needed, and they’re cheap at $20 or so.
- The angles can be adjusted.
- There’s no heat to damage the temper of the blades.
- This can handle knives up to 3.5 inches wide.
- You have to set it up each time you take the kit from the bag.
- It’s very expensive, as this A1 is the basic kit and it has only 2 stones.
- You also need to practice a lot to master its use, and in the video, the expert says that you may have to mess up about 10 to 15 knives before you get the hang of it.
This is our main exception to our hundreds of reviews criteria, and that’s not because it’s not popular. It’s mainly because it’s still comparatively new, so it hasn’t had much time yet to gather a huge number of customer reviews.
It’s also not an electric sharpener, but a manual device that uses water stones. You hold the knife with your left hand (if you’re right-handed), and then you use your right hand to move the stone on the rod over the cutting edge. There are lots of videos you can watch online for this, and you can also watch how to set up the system.
- You also get preset angles so you don’t need to fiddle with anything.
- It’s so portable, since it’s only 3.5 inches by 1 inch, and it weighs 1 ounce. There’s even a lanyard hole.
- The carbide blades and ceramic stones are reversible and replaceable.
- It’s cheap, as in about $6 cheap.
- If you’re sharpening a number of dull knives, you’re going to need a lot of time.
- Not everyone can get how to use this properly.
Most people want a handheld sharpener that goes well with their pocket knives or hiking. If that’s you, then that’s just what you get.
This one is like the Sword of Sharpeners of the Swiss Army. There’s a carbide slot and a ceramic slot, and then there’s a tapered diamond rod that works great for tightened knives.
- It’s portable, and it even comes with a carrying bag.
- If you want, you can bolt it to your tabletop or countertop as it’s already drilled for bolting.
- The stones work dry, so there’s no need for lubricants, oil, or even water.
- This can work for a wide variety of items, and not just knives.
- It’s affordable too.
- It seems complicated to learn.
- Even when you learn to use it, it takes a while to get a sharp edge.
Despite the name of this tool, it is not restricted to sharpening the knives. You can also use it to sharpen fish hooks, awls, kicks, and even the darts.
It’s not an electrical device, though. Instead, it has a frame with a steel rod that you use to sharpen your devices.
Your order is already constructed of 2 ceramic tiles, and all the pieces can be stored in a free carrying case. There’s also an information leaflet and a DVD, though you can watch this video online to get a better idea of how to use it.
- Made with 2-stage sharpening
- Based on stainless steel
- Sharpens after a few strokes
- Small rubber feet
This knife sharpener is accurate at a 30-degree angle of sharpening. As inexpensive, it attracts a lot of knife enthusiasts and, for some, provides the perfect sharpening style without needless accessories. It could be the best cheap knife sharpener with its stainless steel style.
If you’re curious if such a sharpener can last a long time, you don’t need to think about it. Even if it is kept in the kitchen where the temperature is higher, it will still be rust-free. With its stainless steel structure, it looks great alongside other appliances as well.
It method has 2 element locations. Through daily sharpening, both knives will remain as good as new ones. This sharpener has a good edge. As far as technical design is concerned, it may be all that is required for those who are in knives a little more than the average home customer. If you don’t worry about your knives at all, you don’t really need such a major sharpener.
It’s not exclusive from using any other knife sharpener. A few strokes through the 2 sharpening stages are enough every couple of months to hold the blades sharp. Yet what I like about this style is that it remains in place at both levels of sharpening. It gives a reliable style that won’t tilt during sharpening strokes.
- Excellent Austrian tungsten carbide
- Hones at 12 and 20 degrees
- Made with 2 pounds of stainless steel
- Heavier than other knife sharpeners
Always seen among the best knife sharpener ratings, the arrival of Brod & Taylor impresses with its versatility and longevity. Made of Austrian products, the sharpener is made to last. I do recall a chef asking me how he kept all his knives sharp for years to come.
Part of its popularity is its basic architecture. Two bits of tungsten carbide are used on the sharpener and give one of the most effective precision sharpening methods. It doesn’t even allow you to withdraw the blade from the sharpener during the honing process.
This is also why it is so targeted for newcomers as well. The protection can not be ignored. There have been too many wounds in my side, and as any cook knows, it takes time to heal, and they can arrive in the worst times.
This provides one of the finest sharpening methods for beginners at 12 and 20 degrees. Some of them might consider the resource simpler. But even the steel base is all that is required for the best knives. Another major advantage is its architecture. I see it as one of the most stunning releases of the best knife sharpeners genre for years to come. That’s also why I see it on YouTube on a variety of food networks.
- Includes an on/off button
- Based on 3-stage sharpening
- Suitable for kitchen knives
- Not best for hunting knives
As one of the best budge knife sharpeners, it impresses both customers. This electronic knife sharpener shows its true worth on the knives of the kitchen. It is on such knives that the 14-degree angle of the tip is the best cutting edge.
Nevertheless, when it comes to pocket knives or hunting weapons, things are a bit different. These are typically sharpened by 20-degree sharpeners. This is due to the fact that they are forced to take more violence to remain much sharper than a kitchen knife.
But the electronic sharpener can be used on all blade styles as it provides superior results relative to manual sharpening. It also takes a lot less time for the sword to go through the three phases of sharpening than to use a honing knife by hand.
I know I’d like to see more of it in the kitchen and restaurants. Since you don’t have to be a chef to use it, some food industry staff may even sharpen this knife. But being electrical often ensures that a little more care is needed.
The electronic knife sharpener obviously can not be left in high humidity environments. Humidity is going to damage the components sooner than expected. Drop it is another way to end your career.
It’s not an easy piece of metal, as it comes with a motor that needs to be protected. If you have room for it and you can manage it without shakes, it can deliver sharper blades relative to other manual knife sharpeners.
- Works with various sharpening belts
- Sharpens blades within 90 seconds
- Includes a ceramic honing rod
- Not the most compact sharpener
It pair consisting of an electronic knife sharpener and a ceramic honing node can be one of the most fascinating value packs to find. As one of the strongest knife sharpening methods, it provides solid results based on its programming ability. A ceramic honing pin is also attached to the kit to hold the blades clean during honing.
It takes approximately 90 seconds for the sharpener to sharpen the knife. Three settings require you to sharpen, refine and form your blades. Perhaps what I like most about this company is the use of various sharpening belts.
Designed to provide useful performance at 15 degrees and 20 degrees of sharpening, these belts provide one of the best solutions for those searching for the perfect knives. The retailer also sells a complete package of sharpening belts.
Of reality, I don’t like racing around to look for new sharpening belts. But once a year, I’d only buy the Work Sharp belt pack. This package offers you the practical experience of an electronic sharpener. In fact, as one of the top knife sharpeners, the E5 has received the Invention Award 2018 in its division.
- Sold with lifetime technical support
- Sharpens knives and drill bits
- Made with an adjustable cutter angle
- Too large to store on countertops
This multi-tool can be seen in a number of households across the world. This impresses even those searching for the best performance of power tools and sharpening accessories. That’s why I’d see it in a household where there’s a number of other devices to sharpen apart from knives.
With it, you can ground the scissors. With the sharpener, you can sharpen drill bits. Straight-edged grinding chisels is also provided. But you can also sharpen a knife with it, of course. There are a few benefits to this device that might make you want to use it even more.
No physical effort is required, as the grinding and sharpening mechanism is focused on an electric motor. Reduces risky blade sharpening practices. You can damage yourself with manual sharpening if you don’t realize what you’re doing. Perhaps notably, the knife sharpener saves time.
You don’t have to spend too much time figuring out every single step of sharp blades. Such blades may be those of a kitchen knife or a hunting knife with a 15-to 50-degree cutting head adjusted. What I like is that it only requires a couple of seconds to sharpen the blades in all directions.
This operates for widths between 6 and 51 mm for knives. It refers to just about any knife used at home or in a restaurant. When you run a business, you can also depend on it to keep all your resources fresh and ready to go. Hover, the multi-function comes with a number of disadvantages. It probably needs a lot of storage space. It might not fit even put in a kitchen counter.
Top Tips on Buying the Best Knife Sharpener
You’ve got to read a lot of reviews. Begin with our knife sharpener reviews, and then follow the links to the seller’s website, where there are also a number of customer reviews. Such reports will offer you a more accurate idea of what you can get from a specific knife sharpener.
Keep in mind that sometimes the admin can identify what appears to be the best knife sharpener in the world. Yet customer reviews can tell a different story.
Choose from the most popular models as much as possible. These top knife sharpener models are popular for a reason, which is why they have high ratings and hundreds (or perhaps even thousands) of reviews.
Pay special attention to the most recent reviews, too. When a sharpener has been on the market for several years, the supplier may suddenly decide to reduce the quality of its popular and widely-appreciated sharpener. At least with the new best knife sharpener ratings, you can be confident that the recently produced models are still as good as the previous ones.
What are you attempting to sharpen? Many people just want a sharpener for their beloved Japanese sushi knives. And maybe you just want to sharpen everything with the cutting edge of your house, like your hunting knife, scissors, yard care equipment, or even woodcarving devices.
So when you read the features of the drug, test to see if it can match what you want to sharpen. You can also check these features in customer reviews.
Get your priorities straight away. Most consumers prefer to buy the best budget knife sharpener from only a limited price range. It’s reasonable (we’re not all rich) so you can’t just get the cheapest model and call it a day.
Test how smooth a knife gets after using a sharpener by reading customer reviews. Normally, a really effective sharpener will have most of the critics remarking how sharp their knives would be afterward.
You may want to read about how simple it is to know how to use a sharpener, how easy it is to use, and how easily you can sharpen your knives. Many forms of sharpeners (such as damp stones) can take as much as half an hour to sharpen a knife, while the automatic sharpener can require just a few seconds.
Write details on how to use the sharpener properly. Can you be confident that you can follow the instructions and the tips? If it’s too complex, you might need a simplified one. Even the best-rated knife sharpener is pointless whether you can’t use it properly.
The right knife sharpener here depends on your needs and preferences, so we can’t really say what that is, to be truthful with you. So the fact is, you’re the best judge to decide what the perfect knife sharpener is for you, not us.
Having said that, here’s the thing: there’s really something special about the WSKTS-KO Ken Onion Edition of Work Bright. It doesn’t just have sharp knives, or it’s really flexible. Not only is it simple to use.
It’s enjoyable to use, what sets it apart. With the Work Sharp WSKTS-KO Ken Onion Version, you enjoy your time sharpening a variety of tools so that when you’re finished, it’s like you’re upset. That’s because you still want to sharpen more items… the others might be easy to use and give sharp edges to your knives afterward. Yet none of them is as addictive as the Work Sharp WSKTS-KO Ken Onion Version.